Monday, September 10, 2012

My favorite movies...

Ohh how relaxed I feel after a long long time. It is a feeling when your inner qualms have subsided...and you are finally at peace...have fought, have cried, have embarrassed yourself, have emoted to the maximum possible extent, and have regained your composure. You know you have made a fool of yourself but don't really regret. You regain your self confidence, and with your present state of mind only, you face the world proudly.

Bombay:

25th February 1996. The day I watched Bombay for the first time, amid down pouring rain. I don't know how many more times I will write about about that lonely afternoon full of so many new realizations. Today the 32 year old girl sits back and thinks there must have been some reason why I have worshiped Bombay as a movie, despite its apparent irrational plot. Because some day I was supposed to go through the same ordeal, and as my mom says, destroy myself. But still at the same time, hope is born out of nowhere. When I frantically search for the vocal version of Bombay theme in youtube. No, the instrumental version won't suffice. I need to listen to the song - the words, that give life to that mesmerizing tune:

Aankhon mein ummeedon ke kuchh ho sapne...
Aanchal aman ka ho tan mann pe apne
Raatein ho gehri to kya?
Aata hai aakhir ek din naya...

Harano Sur:

Literally meaning "The Lost Music", there has hardly been any other movie where I have felt so one at heart with the female lead. No, she doesn't fit the modern girl who has her life in her stride, but she has this peculiar confidence all the same. "My father says, the right to make mistakes is a very big personal right of human beings". From that immense pride, to her subtle feeling of happiness when Alok, still unable to recognize his wife, is overcome with the piano tune of a song she sang to her on their wedding night and is compelled to present Rama with a bouquet of flowers, to the final helplessness, "My husband...has forgotten me..." Rama also gives up everything and is finally forced to return to her father's house. Oh what acting, what expressions. "See...I have come here with a lot of hope" - oh how do you convince a husband who has lost his memory? The pain and the resolve is unparalleled. Had I not watched this movie, had it not been one of the guiding stars of my life, I wouldn't have seen this date. The song keeps haunting the soul who has forgotten everything, only apart from the faint essence of devotion he had once promised. And their entire relationship hangs precariously on the edge of that vague memory.




No comments: