Friday, September 9, 2011

Take it easy :D

I know that nothing would sound funnier than me writing here that I am adventure prone. But believe me...I am. Adventure happens in my life naturally.

Like it happened yesterday. I entered the house and was just settling down, when BANG!!! and the all the lights went off. When I called the landlady she said that it's too late to send someone. So I spent the night in darkness. Me being the ever adaptive me, also needed 5 KFC chicken wings to pacify the seething anger somewhat.

After all this, if I say I am adventure prone, you'd laugh. Adventure's simply come in my life, uninvited. I realized that when I was standing alone midway in the Austrian Alps in Simmering, for half and hour, being witness to probably 3 accidents in a row, shivering in the cold, with no hope to go back to human society. All because of the moron HBHBB's stupidity (no, to be honest, I was also to be blamed - I don't know why I panicked like that). I always had fear of height, but that time, I felt I just can't continue. Okie foot note is - H=Heart/Hand B=Broken/Bong - guest the rest - copyright K.

Okie, rewind some 5-6 years. Durga Puja 2005. I was poor Pupsie then. Used to go home by train. That too, I guess in general sleeper class (non AC). Anyways, so the 1.5 days journey is almost over, I am supposed to reach the destination at 6 AM in the morning, and the train stops. No, this is not my station. My station's still 2hrs away. And wonder of wonders, train remains stopped. It's 12 noon now. No one has any clue, except rumors that because of the rain, rail lines are submerged in water. I am growing thoroughly impatient, and half the people on train are leaving (the normal electric trains were plying you see), when suddenly a policeman emerges in the compartment and announces my name. Am I the cause of all this? Have I, against my knowledge, become some most wanted? Do I sleep walk (and sleep kill hapless people - like stone man????) In a very cat like voice, the once upon a time doggy says, meekly, "Ya, that's me". It seemed my crazy doting father had compelled the station master to instruct rail police in this station to locate me, and instruct me to take a local train and get down at some station, from where my dad would pick me up. God!!! Story doesn't end here - I, with my two suitcases (red and green) - get down from the express train, and is on the verge of stepping onto the local train, when, announcement!!! My express train has been given the signal to continue its journey. Aah, home sweet home at last. You should have seen me running across the platform with two suitcases (red and green) - to climb into the original train in time. Aah, I sink into my seat. Another 90 minutes pass uneventfully. And then, BOOM. Train stops again. Now, it seems the station is just walking distance. The train is almost vacated. Everyone has started walking along the railway track. I am adamant this time. Even a policeman can't force me to get down on the tracks with my two suitcases (red and green). Then the Marwari uncle intervenes. "You have to come with us". "No Uncle, I am fine. I don't mind waiting". "The train is empty. I can't let a girl stay alone in the train amidst such water logging - this would probably be the last train to have come on this route for the next one week." Cut, and you find me walking with the crowd (Marwari Uncle has curiously vanished) with my two suitcases (red and green) - on a literally shitty track - if only it was one track - as I had told earlier - the local trains were plying - every 2 min someone in the crowd would shout - hey train's coming - and everyone would change tracks - and me too - with (ya you guessed it right - my two suitcases - red and green). A kid emerged from somewhere. Didi, shall I carry this? I was wonder struck - God comes in all forms, they say. But poor Pupsie has to be careful. "How much do you want?" "Will you gimme 10 bucks" - I finally gave him 20. We kept walking. "Hey train train" Another shout. This time the train came, and stopped. It seemed finally a train was sent to pick up the stranded passengers. I reached the station, and dad wasn't there, with a "I can't take it anymore" look on his face - which was expected. It was like - neither he, nor his phone, was reachable. I called mom and surprisingly, mom could reach dad's phone. After some time we managed to meet, and he declared to the "by then quite dead" me, that we can't even take a taxi. The city is absolutely drowned, so we need to take a bus. Getting into an overcrowded Kolkata bus, with my two - you know what - I reached home that day around 13 hours later than the scheduled time, to hear in the news, that there was some mechanical fault in my train when driver applied emergency brake and stopped (when it stopped for the 2nd time) - else the entire train would have derailed!!!

Two years fast forward. 2007, SG. We stayed in the topmost floor (11th floor probably). And my room had this huge window covering one entire wall. One fine evening, as I am lying on the bed and reading, suddenly, I see, cockroaches streaming inside the room, at least 1000 cockroaches, and flying everywhere, and making sure that they don't escape to any other place. There were 3 other rooms including the hall, not a single one decides to stray there. And my funny PM, he tells me, 100 - number to call police - everyone who's watching the fun - laughs aloud. Ugh - terrible sense of humor people have :@ :@ Thankfully by next morning they were gone (Do doggies eat cockroaches ever? Were they taking revenge for some nasty act I did in my last life?)

No comments: