Monday, March 7, 2016

Spotlight...

I watched Spotlight last night. What a delightful movie!

As I might have mentioned here quite a number of times, I am restless these days in almost everything. I pride myself on being a good manager, but these days there's so much to do, and over that with a condition of mental instability, frustration and probably depression, I lose track at times. Anyways, after the latest fiasco with my best friend (I think, since we actually reunited for a day or two like best friends, no matter what happened afterwards, I'm more entitled to call him my best friend than I was before) - I made it a point to live life. Because I finally realized that there's no one and absolutely no one who'd help me live it except (if I may borrow my icon's style) - yours truly. Hence, on the Friday before the long weekend, I made a long list of the pending things. One of them was Spotlight - in fact I intend to watch at least one good movie every week.

I have seldom been this happy. Drinking tea with my parents, watching India win the Asia cup, cleaning utensils. Boasting on FB about an inconsequential paper publication. I am not an academic person and it makes no difference, but whatever. It makes me happy. An achievement always does. Treading on new paths and never ever giving up is in my blood, right? I remember I was like this in 2011 in Prague. In the first two visits. Cheering for India as it won the World Cup. I didn't have a worry, was enjoying the travel and the luxurious lifestyle, career was going good and I could spend a lot of time with myself. And then I wanted to look out for more happiness, and doomsday followed. As much as I can't explain why on earth my best friend behaved in the way he did, by doing so he has liberated me once again. I won't look for happiness. This is all I have, and I have accepted that.

I am nobody to judge a movie that has just won the best movie Oscar. In fact immediately after the Oscars there's this huge hullabaloo about "watch these movies" in the media. Last year also there was this craze about Birdman, The Theory of Everything, Boyhood etc. I happened to watch only Boyhood. I am selective about my movies, and I can't explain just which movie I shall happen to fancy. I love Tom Hanks movies, have watched almost all of them, but couldn't bring myself up to watch Saving Private Ryan. Not that I can't stand action movies. I hugely enjoyed Inglorious Basterds. So it doesn't follow a pattern.

All I can say is, Spotlight gave me back my lost faith in work. You just have to go on doing your work honestly. There's no greater gratification in life than a life spent fruitfully. Equally important is being a good person, an honest and compassionate person. I read something on FB the other day. That after the Holocaust, someone (a lady) said that she has discovered that 10% of people are by nature cruel, another 10% are always merciful, the rest 80% can be swung in either direction. My motto in life should be to cling to that 10% of merciful population, come what may, I simply wouldn't swing to the other side. This is my vow to myself, and yes, neither would I ever support cruelty or meanness. I must at least protest whenever I see evil. I loved Spotlight because it talks about all of these things. Talks in a very silent way.

No comments: