Sunday, July 29, 2012

Satyamev Jayate...

Tomorrow, supposedly the last episode of Satyamev Jayate is going to be aired. Personally I learnt a lot from this show. First thing I should say is anyone apart from Aamir Khan would not have been able to reach out to this extent with the contents of the show. As for me, even Aamir Khan was not sufficient. I was in Prague when the show started. And I was totally disinterested. Yes, Aamir's Taare Zameen Par was commendable, but that apart, I was not very convinced that he can bring up any social cause successfully. My neighbor lady in offshore, who's grown to become a very good friend these days, had set her tagline to Satyamev Jayate. Despite her apparent childishness, there is a certain easy going strength in my friend's nature which I quite admire. So, wanted to check out the show which has influenced her. From there, there was no turning back. There were many problems in my personal life, for which, may be I couldn't watch the show on time, but as soon as I recovered enough to give my fullest concentration, I'd watch the episode and add to my learning.

Yes, no doubt the show is a bit more dramatized than necessary. But the message is so loud and clear and heart wrenching, that you almost feel that the overwhelming impact was rather necessary. And then, I love my country and intend to live my entire life in this country. So I must know each and every thing that bothers my country and not only that, I, as a responsible bread earner for the family, should be armed well to protect my loved ones from the evils. If ever I give birth to a child, I must teach him the right things, bring him up with the proper perspective. I have often thought about Aamir's new born child while watching the show. Somewhere in his face, beyond all acting, I have seen the resolution to make a better world for the son he was blessed with. I too felt the same way.

Greed and prejudice kills you in a far worse way and any ammunition or pollution does. It blocks you, doesn't let you think. If my country and its people can come out of this ailment and think freshly and selflessly, I am sure there will be happiness. Such was my dedication towards this show that not only have I religiously watched all episodes, but also have read all relevant coverage in the media. People are so partial in their opinion. From someone not wanting to waste a happy and relaxing Sunday morning to social evils, to someone thinking only journalists can follow through is such issues and a movie star will deviate once the program is over, every opinion seemed childish to me. I am reading Atlas Shrugged these days. There in one place Dagny says, before the earth will face destruction because of natural calamities, human beings will have thought a way out. Such is our intellect and willingness to live. See, I don't agree with the saying that words do not matter, only action does. Everything matters. Talking matters, listening matters, thinking matters. Hats off to the superstar who thought and cared to present the issues we all knew about but never bothered to think over. It is high time to break the cocoon. So long as nobody in my circle is affected, I will remain aloof. It doesn't work that way. At times I feel how blessed I am to have received a proper education from my parents. I never had any religious, social or psychological bias. My parents have always called everyone with respect and taught us to do so. We never knew any concept of servant in our family, my mom taught us to call them as sister or aunt. My mom always said, a girl child is the greatest blessing a family receives. From day 1 she taught us never to waste food, she'd give this involuntary shudder and say, so many people in India go without food. It is a blessing to be born in a poor and educated family. It adds a lot of value to your life. May be given my background, I was able to better appreciate the show, but I feel everyone should at least take time out to watch the show. You never know how it touches your mind :)

No comments: