Tuesday, February 9, 2016

The music mismatch :P

Songs are unique things...in the sense that they take you away from your common sense and sense of uniformity or consistency. Let me try to explain. I am this voracious reader,  right? I read everything, American, British, whatever publication I get. And the only part that stumps me is when random songs are mentioned. The "so and so" played on the radio. How on earth am I supposed to get the context? How do I know the significance? The tune that is so familiar to the author is something I have never heard - how am I to know whether its romantic or based on a revenge saga? The author completely loses it there, probably because he can't bring himself up to believe that there can be anyone on earth who hasn't yet heard his childhood favorite song...

For example, guess what came up in my mind right now?

Aaj hi humne badle hain kapde,
Aaj hi hum nahaye huye hai...

Guess which song? I'm sure that many people from my generation might not know :D

More curious is the flow of thoughts from there. Wait, bossie used to boast about knowing a song of this type by heart, the entire song, nothing less. Which song was it? With a lot of effort I remember,

Pehle toh kabhi kabhi gham ttha,
Ab toh har pal hi teri yaad satati hai,
Ab toh har pal hi teri yaad rulati hai...

I could remember the singer but couldn't recollect his name - I could also remember that this was not the song, it was something else, sung by the same guy - and then suddenly it occurred to me -

Tum to thehre pardesi, saath kya nibhaoge?
Subah pehle, subah pehle, subah pehle gadi se -
Ghar ko laut jaoge - e-e e-e e-e

Didn't get head or tail? Come now, how can that be?

Told you! :(

If you are still reading on for some enlightenment, the original song is -

Ishq mein hum tumhe kya bataye
Kis kadar chot khaye huye hai,
Maut ne humko maara hai aur hum -
Zindagi ke saataye huye hai...

Shoo, else I'd go on singing the entire song - you don't know me, I never forget lyrics - this was most probably sung by Sonu Nigam, the other guy, if I remember correctly, was called Altaf Raza (very funny he looked)...

At a loss for speech? I feel like that when dad talks about classical music :(

To each his own poison :D (btw the songs mentioned above are neither my favorite, nor do I have them in my collection, they are just by the way songs that came up in my mind...)

No comments: