Sunday, June 17, 2012

Me and my glass of chilled beer...

The first gulp of beer always brings such a mingled feeling of - I guess the best word would be liberation. Its bitter sweet taste, its unique smell, and the very fact that I am drinking it, me, a middle class Bengali girl from a conservative family, the first generation female to work and travel out of country, the first generation female to have chosen to live independently and deny the usual norms of society, the apparently weak minded, dependent, cuddly, attention seeking girl, whom life has made so strong willed and self driven, my glass of beer seems to be the culmination of it all. I love my glass of beer. I had gained everything else on my own. The glass of beer tells me, I am supported in my decisions, few and rare though, I do have friends, and parents, who are blind about me. Who love me the way I am. I should thank my friend who introduced me to beer, but he being an European, this was nothing much to him. But to the people who are from my own undecided country, which is still unsure about whether to go forward or move backward, accepting me this way, was a huge leap. Cheers to dad, mom and Boo - love you all :)

No comments: