Sunday, June 17, 2012

A long pending movie review...

I gave two hours of my life to a second time watching of a movie called Sarkar Raj. RGV, might be facing troubles now, but I (and especially my brother) have always been fond of RGV movies. If not movies, then his movie thinking. His "soch".

I had liked Sarkar Raj a lot, first time I had watched it in theater. I was going through a difficult time then... (my readers would laugh now - is there any time which is not a difficult time in my life?) I remember having started writing a review (should still be somewhere there in my home laptop which is now in Bangalore). I especially liked the last scene, "ek chai lana"...well, I was still in love with my teaholic, very much in love, and that was the time when he was engaged and still not married.

One fine Saturday, we happened to discuss about the movie too. He said, he liked Sarkar more than Sarkar Raj. I protested. I said some dialogue, on my usual favorite topic, man woman interdependence. And I wrote something on the relationship of Shankar and Anita. At times you are put in a situation together, in such a way, that an unknown person becomes closer than your own blood, discovers you more than your own family ever did. I remembered all those things, while watching the movie once again. And I remembered his small request. I don't understand as well as you do, will you write a review? May be a request made in mockery, but he had said all the same.

But Sarkar Raj is not about Shankar and Anita only. To my romantic eyes - yes, but otherwise - no. Sarkar Raj breaks the myth about power. Power can create, but power can't protect. Power can avenge, but power can't dictate. The close ups, a RGV signature, and the shadowy photography, gives you such an eerie feeling. Life is like that, we are working all the while towards more life, with death watching over us.

I like Supriya Pathak's character. She is no doubt one of the finest actresses in India, but the character Pushpa in itself has so much strength. The eternal Indian housewife, who has full faith in her husband. Her entire life shatters, she loses both her sons and one daughter in law, yet, as instructed by her husband, she steadily walks on to telephone and bring in her only grandson into this whirlwind. Life is about giving it all, Tagore has said in so many songs...give everything you have.

Some scenes are very strong, and make a long lasting mark in your mind. The old lady, chopping betel nut, with much precision, though she is nearly blind, and Avantika watching it in awe and getting a hunch of imposing threat...one favorite of ours is the unnamed contract killer, who speaks in sign language...and whose gloved hand is shown to speak throughout the movie, in his life and death, that is all the communication he does. The not so prime characters also give such intense expressions, that you get to know how strong a director RGV is. Just check out Bala's acting in the movie. A parallel track in itself.

The music is ultimate. Govida chant apart, the songs make a mark. The occasional humor is also nice, one more favorite of us is...Shankar ko hum...gapuchi gapuchi gam gam....

This review would have been much better if my brother would have written it. He is an authority on RGV movies. He understands the pulse of RGV movies. As for me, I have almost stopped watching movies these days, my type of movies are just not being made. But I liked Sarkar Raj, I am not an action movie person, but yes, I am a social movie person definitely. As a social movie, Sarkar Raj is among the strongest that have ever been made in India.

And yes, I am a literature person. I loved reading The Godfather. No doubt an adaptation from there, as I watched the movie, I remembered glimpses from the story. Women always make amends for their men's obstinacy and overconfidence. We, almost always end up paying a very hefty price for their lack of flexibility. Some men understand it, and write novels. Some men understand it, and make films. But still, men don't change. They remain their way, we keep suffering, and yet, can't stop loving them either.

No comments: