Sunday, July 7, 2013

The first steps or the first handshake with corruption?

I am turning so so whimsical over the days, that at times I literally need to beg to myself. Please please please let's watch Lootera this weekend, every review I read of it tells me that this is a film I'm definitely going to like...I tell myself. But then...the whims. At night she won't sleep and then in the morning she won't wake up. And she won't stop herself from doing anything she fancies, good, bad or evil (by the way she doesn't fancy much the later two). So definitely my film watching is at stake. Last weekend I planned for Ranjhanaa and that went for a toss (the sleeping beauty won) - same fate probably this weekend too. I kept thinking about this and then finally decided to buy the tickets online - all set to go tomorrow afternoon.

So my letting out the venom in the last entry helped. I slept peacefully. So would like to tell you another story tonight.

Interviews are very important things in my opinion. At least the first interviews are. That is when you make your mark...you step into a new world of competition and making the most of your talents, and you learn to take on challenges and earn your career. So cut shot into the interview process of this crappy organization I belong to. First thing that took me by storm is, here, anybody can interview. It requires no maturity in the role. Then, a person of any experience can interview someone senior to them by any extent, e..g 7 years experienced guy interviewing 11 years experienced guy...I have 10 years experience, I have interviewed (don't laugh) banking professionals (I am not from a banking background and know bare minimum banking that my functional domain demands, which, going by the standards of this company, seems a lot) - having a whopping 16 years experience, and rejected them in terms of technical inabilities (yes they are supposed to know technology as well). People here expect everyone to know everything, else it becomes a big joke. See, in my opinion, a statistics and business intelligence person might not know about batch processing, might not be familiar with the terminology....but no one stops to think about that...the joke is spread far and wide. Ok, so much for the lateral interviews. Now coming to the freshers, I once went to an engineering college and finally selected 1 kid out of a 100 odd who appeared for the selection procedure. And the HR guy turned him down saying he didn't have the right attitude. I didn't find a flaw in him, except that he was strong headed like me. I fought a little bit, but the HR guy was senior to me (here seniority is never in terms of total experience, but the experience in the company) - he joined a couple of years earlier than me, so his verdict held. This was probably in the month of February. Recently there was this colleague who came up with a request to interview his sister. I agreed, interviewed and rejected the girl. Her basics were not clear. Then I came to know that as per the custom of this company, near relatives of employees are taken in without interview. And my decision was overridden and the girl was on boarded. The entire process was so murky and loathsome that I don't have words to describe. Even before I took the interview, the colleague called me up a couple of times and asked me what questions I'd be asking. I refused and said diplomatically that she should know her basics properly. After I rejected her, I got to know the girl has been rejected in 2 other previous interviews in our company and she couldn't clear the fresher aptitude exam even. After that things became even more hilarious when the colleague was going on a personal trip to Bombay and asked me if I need anything from there - which according to me was a very subtle way of bribing. After all this the girl was called for a face to face interview, rejected in the first round, and then cleared in the second round by my great friend - who thinks this is only fair because her husband was on boarded the same way - she gave me couple of other examples too, of such personal connections. Wonderful, I said to myself. And then, she went on to say on a lighter note that presence of a beautiful girl in the office will lead to the guys doing more work. I again sighed to myself and thought, from the girl's brother using coercion and bribery as techniques to get his sister a job, how else can this come to a full cycle except the girl getting appointed to entertain her male colleagues with her appeal. I couldn't help but chuckle at the irony.

I still feel so proud of the ways in which I have cleared my interviews. The first interview, the next one, and the first step into corporate, when the HR guy (who happened to be a senior from my university) amply praised me as a dynamic young lady. I swell so much with pride, it is something I have achieved...nobody on earth paved my way or helped me in any way, and till date I have never bent down before anyone and never ever begged. The feel good factor apart...this is the throttle that creates the first bit of confidence...which gives you the courage to tread in yet unseen territories.

So, if during these first steps, you know that you can give wrong answers, get rejected time and again, and still make it to the same company, what will be the work standard for that person? And what mistake did that kid do, except having a feisty attitude, that he was rejected? Once again reasons for suffocation. And you know what, I feel so so much better having put these things publicly. It is my protest, in my own small way - against malpractices and opportunism.

No comments: