Tuesday, March 25, 2014

First day's work...end of devil's workshop?

So how was first day at work? There were usual apprehensions and skepticisms. As I might have mentioned here, this after all has been my first place of work – and at that time ambition ruled supreme. The restrictions imposed by an university environment was not for a so called “dynamic young lady” like me…(if I have already mentioned the story somewhere, let me take this opportunity to repeat – I was described in this way by a very senior HR manager during the final round of interview with the first MNC I worked for – the interviewer, incidentally hailed from this same university). In no time was I flying higher – as I always boast, I got 10 times my initial salary in the first six years of work. And then what? Back to square one? Dynamic is replaced by other D words like downtrodden, depressed and demotivated? What happened girl, you might jeer at me and ask…

But still it is work – precious work which I did not have in the last 6 months. Albeit it is a never seen before kind of dusty, untidy lab where housekeeping comprises a bai lady cleaning the floor with a bucket of water and a piece of cloth. But then it is comfortable otherwise sans my familiar problem of the AC being too cold. Albeit it had prehistoric CRT monitors at most of the desks, but they were branded IBM machines (who cares if the OS they are using is Windows 2000 – it is just a step back from XP, and… well Windows 7 and 8 are but old wine in a new bottle). I got a permission to bring my laptop from tomorrow, so ideally this should not be a big issue. If I can connect through WiFi with their LAN and access the shared folders, my work is done. What if in the entire day all you get to see is 5-10 faces (some of them known from beforehand, and it was a big relief to find them still friendly) – it is being more social than staying holed up inside your room with your dad, mom and grandma as the only company. You get to board a bus or auto rickshaw every day – you get to meet people…and ya, you get to battle natural calamities, like today we had the first nor'wester of the season, just moments after I boarded the bus. As soon as I got down, the wind pounced on me and drenched me as if it were Holi and some naughty guy was after me to drown me in colors. Ah, rain, perhaps my most favorite thing on earth. How I have learnt over the years to do without almost everything that is dear to me. I still remember my sheer ecstasy as the bus would speed through down pouring rain over the newly built Electronic City Flyover in Bangalore. I remember the whimsical raining when I was in Singapore – how it used to instantly bring down the heat – and I’d watch it intently from my window. 

Work is not much – how much work can migration of a website involve? I got a fair hang of it in the first day itself. It is gonna be routine work – and I really didn’t have any mind to discuss the money. All I was happy about was that my best friends’ forecast was not entirely false. But as much as he said,  চাকরি তো তোকে করতেই হবে...he also did say, তুই চাকরি ধরবি আর ছাড়বি - so you see, I really can't trust the longevity of this job. Though they did say, this might go on till the next two months, well, I have stopped being hopeful these days. 

One more thing I was wondering is - I am back here  after a decade - if this is a cycle repeating, will any other cycle repeat as well? Which ones? The good ones or the bad ones?

Discipline and whim goes side by side in me. First I wouldn't sleep because I haven't brushed my teeth and cleansed my face. And once these were done much lethargically,  I wanted to write about my first day's experience. Now I am almost dropping dead from sleep over my laptop, so good night :)

PS - Extremely sad that Candy Crush reset to level 1 - I had reached level 57 if I remember correctly. But anyways, I am back at 26 or 27 once again - what if my eyes are aching and watering all the time. Last time I checked, I was still having 6/6 vision, so not to worry :)

No comments: