Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Trust issues...old memories and death...

I don't feel any better. Things simply don't improve. Because things are in this state, I feel all the more angry. Angry when I realize that everyone out there is simply planning to rob me, to break my trust.

Example1: Naukri.com - terrible service I must say. The amount I paid them, Rs 6080/- might not be a huge amount, but the fact remains that I totally wasted the money. It hasn't helped me a wee little bit in my job search, let alone that, they haven't even taken care to provide the promised services. Their website is full of false information (e.g. they write that their telephone number is reachable from 9 AM to 9 PM throughout the week, whereas if you call the number you are informed that it works 9 AM to 6 PM, from Mon to Sat). On similar lines they are showing one of the services I had opted for, as complete, though whenever I call them, they themselves admit that they have re initiated it and it is under processing. If I ask them about the wrong status on the website, they say, the status is managed by their tech team and some such crap.

Example2: Pepsico and Inox - went to watch Sholay-3D with dad in the morning show yesterday. I have become poor after I left my job. I try to cut down on expenses all the time. Since the morning show in Inox is cheaper, I opted for it. But all said and done, Sholay is a long movie and you cannot do without water for so long. Especially in winter you should not stay without water as humidity is already less in the air and you are getting parched against your knowledge (because the apparent chill doesn't let you feel the thirst). And, Inox, the great multiplex doesn't allow us to carry our own water bottles. So I had to buy this exorbitantly priced Aquafina bottle at Rs 40/- That was yesterday. Some water was left, so we carried the bottle back home. Today as I sat down for lunch, I suddenly observed two MRPs printed on the bottle. MRP Rs 18/- (which has been partially removed) and MRP Rs 40/- which is totally visible along with the batch number. It left me with no doubt whatsoever that a company like Pepsico is repackaging water in previously used bottles. They remove the previous stamping with some spirit sort of thing, since by mistake the data on this bottle was partially removed, this stuff came to light. These bottles being non food grade anyways, the implications are appalling and scary. I have already taken pics, I plan to post them on Facebook as well.

Ok, so what else is going on in life? Nothing much. Meenu pinged that day, and we kind of agreed on making peace. I have gotten so habituated giving up cherished things in life, that I had quite thought I'd have to spend the rest of my life with fond memories of our friendship. I am still not sure, you see, it is me who is vulnerable and lonely right now. But at least she's shown some interest in reviving our friendship, and that means a lot to me. The period thingy also came up after one full month - everything has its own time - if I put it philosophically. But then, if things are delayed beyond a particular tolerance level, their arrival doesn't have any meaning anymore.

I want to finish today's entry by writing something. I suddenly got to know that she is dead. That she died of cancer at the age of 40. I didn't have any particular affinity towards her. I had seen her face to face quite a number of times, and had two telephonic interactions with her. On one occasion, I had kept silent, and she had given me a proper thrashing with impossibly crude words. That time I was terribly hurt (for you see I always knew that it was me and not any prank caller, but she didn't) - but now I can understand that she didn't have any patience or tolerance for pranksters. The other time was rather sweet (because I spoken, with my voice muffled with a handkerchief) - as I asked, if I could speak with her brother, she asked me, who are you. I said, I am his friend. She said, very sweetly, in Bengali, I remember, ও? ও ওর আরেকটা বন্ধুর বাড়িতে গেছে - he? he's gone over to another friend's place. How memories linger. Now that I am at home and the only stress in life is caused by this joblessness, I keep remembering the most insignificant things that have happened throughout my life. I didn't know I'd feel this pang to know about her death. Her brother hadn't been kind to me. I have loved him all my life, perhaps from the time I have known love, he has been my hero, my idol. But I never knew that I'd be so overwhelmed that he's lost someone so near to him. I am speechless, I cannot reach out to him, and frankly speaking I don't matter to him. But I felt it to be a loss anyways, another of those wildly shocking mysteries that death creates. Again that question, why death takes away suddenly, why death takes away someone young, why death tortures and makes us suffer so much. And why an apparently useless person like me, who has no point in living and doesn't even want to live, lives on all the same?

Did I say I will finish with this one? Oh but how can I? Without telling you about the ethereal feeling I had when I went to Garia Station the other day to attend a religious ceremony at a relative's place? It was not college memories, no. The glorious feeling came when I took the road that goes away from the college route...to that bus stop where I'd get into the bus with my best friend, though that meant a roundabout route for me, and unnecessary crossing of roads. That also meant few more minutes with my best friend, which I couldn't bear to lose at any cost. Albeit we'd simply bicker away the time, once in a while, we'd talk in a really cosy way as well. Oh how the fond memories overwhelmed me - a friend who had promised he'd always take care of me, who'd told me, I'd never go without a job, even if I wish for that, and who, simply doesn't care anymore. Again going back to the point I had begun with, why to love? why to trust?

No comments: