Saturday, April 26, 2014

Miles to go...before I sleep... :)

Tears always came easily to me, these days all the more. An old friend from college pinged me in Whatsapp, and called afterwards. It felt wonderful. As if the way I had challenged myself, you don't have friends and you have to live this way only, was proved wrong by this single action, and I was overjoyed. It is not, after all, a world where nobody cares. You know, I was a very avid student of statistics once in my +2 - so I still remember this term "rare event". So rare events are not, by definition, non existent events you see :)

So my friend had asked me to share my CV with him. As I was sending him the mail, I couldn't help mentioning that his call has made me happy and changed my firm belief that I am an apparently friendless person. As I was sending that mail, I found myself crying. So much of life awaits me there and the whole of it eludes me. But then I am happy in my cocoon. I am happy with the small joys of planning, coding and showing my superiority in a subtle way to my juniors in the university. In fact I myself get surprised when I realize, why, my understanding of technology is not that bad, I can pick up things faster that the others and understand better than people who have been working much longer on the technology. And then, after a long time, I am mostly with people who are elder to me. So I am pampered a little. I like that. I like my small collection of shoes I have got after I came to Kolkata. I make it a point that I wear them all by turn (do you own some shoe shop - my seniors would mockingly ask)...I never miss the small bit of make up, and a matching watch and matching ear rings, the clothes are repetitive, but I don't feel bad about that - instead I rather appreciate the way I am carrying the clothes.

My crusade again customer torture by Indian service providers continue. Finally today I raised a request for my Tata photon number cancellation. Had had enough from them. Absolute cheaters they are. When they said they need time to solve the speed issue, I had changed my plan to some lower usage, so that I am not taxed that much by a non functional service. And here they are, charging me on my previous plan, with a bill amount double the cap on the new plan I had chosen. Well, if I am not left with a choice I will pay that amount itself, but I decided on not being tolerant on them anymore.

Over that I have now found an issue with ICICI bank, with which I have remained satisfied so far in all these 9 years of opening my first salary account with them. Some simple calculation showed me that they pay interest amount on FDs lesser than what they promise, around 0.8% lesser on an average (I checked one of my accounts and 2 of my brother's accounts). For the first time I need to think of removing my money with a nationalized bank.

How much of my time is wasted on money these days...when I had money I never worried, I just counted the lose cash so that I won't lose or misplace that. But the good thing that came out of this habit was to write down the daily expenses, and now I have enough statistics to build a sound financial plan for myself. I know my spending pattern too well.

Summer is terrible this time. Would you believe, today Google showed me at 5 PM: Kolkata, temperature 40 degrees, humidity 29% and wind speed...guess? 0 km/hr!!! Thank God I bought the AC in time - else would have been boiled alive I guess. Even now, as I'd go out of my room, it would feel as if my skin just got burnt. And how I'd long for Prague...

There's always been some kind of antenna in me which comes to play on Friday nights or Saturday nights. I am tired, still I want to enjoy in my own simple ways, reading, writing or watching movies. The entire country is witnessing all funny antics in the name of election, and I am excited about casting my vote after a long long time.

I guess that's all for today, my policy says, the consistency and length of your yawns should decide whether you are ready for sleep - I definitely am!

No comments: