Tuesday, April 15, 2014

A cool life and a needle prick...



It is such a wonderful feeling to have your own AC. Well, frankly, during the days when I was a student, Kolkata was not this hot, and even if it was, AC was not that popular, except for the high income zone. These days I hear of centrally air conditioned schools and colleges, well, in my time it was not so, and mind you, I have always been to private institutions. But ya, once I went for training with my first MNC, things changed. I can’t still forget the luxury of that single room I had for all 4 months of training. By some twist of luck I never got a roommate, and I loved it that way. I still remember being like this village idiot, sitting on the floor and looking around in awe – the first day I checked in that room. So, goes without saying that was the first time I lived in an air conditioned room. Then, on and off, during almost all my onsite tours, I got to taste similar luxury. But never in my own room. Like I have always said, the gap in the standard of my living based on whether I am onsite and offshore always pained me. God knows why, Indians get habituated with that lapse very easily. Oh, that was onsite, we had money then, and anyways the office was paying for accommodation. Once offshore, they get back to the savings track. And then moreover, Bangalore is an air conditioned city, more or less. Nobody buys an AC there for home use.

Well, can’t say that for Kolkata. The heat here is getting worse by the day. But then, I didn’t have a job. I was not sure whether to stay here or return to Bangalore. I was in one thousand and one dilemmas. But then, as of now, today, I am happy. The AC has been installed, and going out of station doesn’t even come in my mind. I was not very happy with the installation though. They did a pretty casual kinda job and didn’t even bother cleaning up after they were done. Even the drilled hole for pipe outlet was not plastered. But then I had made up my mind, whatever be the amount of dust, I shall sleep in my room itself. Well, dad and mom cleaned off the dust while hollering at me to stay away (that old allergy and asthma problem) – but then, once I entered the room, shut the doors and windows and put on the AC, it was pure bliss. Who cares that I can’t spend the summer in Europe anymore. I have my mini Europe in my room now.

I was being a kid and nagging with dad. Dad, am I a good girl? Just to get rid of me, he’d say, yes, a very good girl. And I’d proudly tell him, dad, I’ve been a good girl and I have earned this AC for myself. Yes, I am that happy.

Did a huge lot of sale shopping this Saturday, and got two wonderful shoes for myself. Had a great dinner with mom afterwards, in a restaurant nearby (crispy chicken, my favorite). The people there might be still having stitches in their stomach, from watching us arrange our shopping in between courses. I tell you, it is fun behaving as village idiots once in a while. 

There was one small thing that caused a minor glitch. The colleague in my previous organization, whom I once called friend, has a blog, which in fact, I had created for her. Told her that she can unburden herself in the blog whenever things go beyond control, way I do. Well, I don’t know what made me look at her blog after I had posted the last entry. Perhaps the new found happiness urged me to ensure that she’s ok too – because there’s no other way to know her whereabouts, we are no more on speaking terms. Well, it was like a tiny prick of needle when I read that she has called me a hypocrite (whose priority is to maintain friendship with her husband, and so I call him a good person) and she cited the time she sat beside me as I cried for Boo, and wondered how I would have felt had she called Boo a good person then. And of course she accused me of not remembering how good a friend she had been to me.

1.     Read the definition of hypocrite anywhere, and come back to me if you still don’t understand.
2.     I never blamed Boo when I cried for him, I always maintained that he is a good person. Now that I don’t cry for him anymore, I have become indifferent. Doesn’t matter to me whether he’s good or bad. I know he’s been bad to me, but he’s been excellent to his parents and wife. It is all relative.
3.     Ask me how much it costs to stay alive, and how much more to stay happy. If I didn’t value her friendship, I wouldn’t have left Bangalore without a job, in a heartbroken condition. She pushed me to the wall, and yet I accepted the blow and didn’t retaliate, only because I was grateful for the support she provided during my bad days. I don’t complain. It was impossible to coexist in the same organization with her, given her autocratic ways, and then, I am extremely happy now with the outcome of my decision. It was worth the struggle.

No, I don’t need to answer her. She’s a blind, stubborn person who shall remain unhappy all her life if she doesn’t change her ways. But then who am I to point out things. We are not friends anymore. These answers were for me, a medicine to be applied on that tiny needle wound. Though tiny, it hurt like hell.
At times I do feel like writing a romantic story. May be, that’d be my ode to the full moon lady…that’d be on the probable love that could have happened between the lonely people on earth who live like an island. I will think about it.

No comments: