Thursday, August 9, 2007

Two recently watched movies

I often think, which are the movies I really love. Almost all movies I have watched, I have liked...and they have inspired me in some way. But my blog was not there at that time...neither can I write all I like about all my favorite movies at one shot. So let's live in the present.

Gandhi My Father

My first movie in a theatre in Singapore. I know I have come here to save money...to build our house...but I make sure that I take care of my happiness. I have bought CDs from Mustafa and have been watching movies almost every weekend. But don't know why...just felt like going to the theatre for this movie. Perhaps because I had a premonition that this is going to be a good movie. but while I was leaving, watching the movie was the least priority. Very consciously I am trying to bring a makeover in myself...perhaps in search of new confidence...and I sincerely prepared to present myself before the office lot in a sleeveless shirt, formal trousers, trendy earrings and open hair. And guess what...I got a few complements too. At that point of time I was not knowing that the movie I am going to watch is the story of a man who made multiple attempts of makeover, with no success.
But let's begin from the theatre...nothing very dissimilar from Forum in Bangalore. Its called Jade. I looked around for the posters. Never heard or read about Harilal before except for his mention in the quiz in MunnaBhai. But yes, I have always appreciated Akshaye Khanna as an actor. He has got those subtle expressions which mark a great actor. The movie started like any other normal movie. That's the best thing I liked about this movie. It never tried to become an art film. The pace was very gradual...I should say hardly any other movie has shown this gradual a transformation of a barrister into the Father of the Nation. Hardly any other movie has dared to focus to this extent into the private life of so public a figure. And this movie, in this unnatural venture...slowly reveals the unfortunate life of Harilal Gandhi. A normal human being...he just cherished to remain normal...with one dark tint in his nature...though conscious and selfish but not at all illogical, to make some benefit out of his father's good name. He was one man who lived for himself, but who doesn't? In this wide world how many men become a Gandhi? And Gandhi can never be made forcefully....even if you make your attempts on the person who carries his gene. So this poor son loses in every battle of his life. Marries, but the marriage doesn't bring him anything except children whom he cannot bring up properly and a very caring wife who finally succumbs to the ill fate his multitude of failure brings about. He loves his mother to the limit that he gives her a position above his revered father, a mother who thinks the most about her obstinate eldest son, but choses to be Gandhi's wife than being Harilal's mother. A father whom he respects, but cannot understand with the eyes of a common selfish man. And who always fall prey to hyenas and jackals who wear mask of well to do human beings in this (in)human society. A pitiful saga....the silence at the end of the show magnifying the silence of the late night. To people who want to think and understand human nature...the ever mysterious thing...please do watch.


TaraRumPum

Got a holiday....finally...August 9th, Singapore's 42nd National Day. It rained in the morning...so had a cosy sleep and woke up pretty late. Wanted to finish this movie today. I am not the one to miss out any release from Yash Raj Banner. Siddharth Anand did a great job with Salaam Namaste (little did I know what is going to befall me when I watched it first time)...but now that I watch it again and again...I feel a strange emotional attachment with it. Men are not bad, they are just over practical. But trust me when I say that they do care...and they care selflessly.
So back to TaraRumPum. Good movie...speed, editing, story line everything good...really don't know why people did not appreciate. Acting...well what to say about acting when you cast two natural actors...Saif and Rani. Javed's cameo was fresh and with a new flavor...that's what I liked about it. Victor Banerji...can he not retire being the Nikhilesh in Ghare Baire or even the lead role in Jogger's Park? there are 100s of character role players in Bollywood...needn't cast some exceptional talent to do an ordinary role. Anyways...on lighter note...as I said in my last post...I follow the music talent hunts keenly. Hey who is this director Duo Vishal Shekhar...heard their name but never heard their music man! Ok...so they are the music directors here. After watching this movie...can confidently declare something...they may lack several things...but they possess 100% passion. The music is the passion and heart beat of the movie. I liked the movie...quite a lot infact !
One reflection to end with. People have told me that they found this movie to be very unnatural. People cannot suffer so much. They cannot get this poor. I was watching discovery channel on the eve of the National Day in Singapore. There I got to know about one ex-primeminister of Sinagapore who now sells books on the roadside. He is completely bankrupt, still in debt, and at the age of 80 he still dreams of paying back his debts and starting a new life. So folks, rare but not impossible. Be prepared for anything may happen in life...anytime.

No comments: