Friday, October 30, 2015

Midnight blues

As much as I love reading Hercule Poirot, I probably couldn't have done with one more in a row. Since the time I got my tab  (20th July), I have read 21 books, about 16 of which were Poirot. Boredom and repetition is bound to come even with the best of authors, if you read someone’s work so very regularly. The last one I read was The Hollow (finished it last night) - poignancy and psychology smeared all over it, just the way I like. But still in my mind I knew I have to put a temporary brake on this, it had almost started hurting my head.

Was just looking for new books on Amazon - the latest Robert Galbraith has been published, when I remembered sneaking on one of Avik-da's Facebook conversations on thrillers, and the mention of The Girl On The Train in that. I often read entire conversations of Avik-da on Facebook without participating or liking any bit of it, so that my presence is not known to him. I like anonymity or the feeling of being invisible, shrouded. I am too insignificant to take part in sensible and intelligent discussions, why, I am almost a ghost! But even a ghost has her social needs, and so I intrude without being obvious and of course I mean no harm.

I downloaded the book and started reading it. It is beautiful. Poignancy and psychology smeared all over it, just the way I like. Ha ha ha isn't life repetitive :)

Bhai went away to Bangalore today. Had to get up at 4:00 o'clock to take him to the airport. Have slept in between, so not really feeling sleepy, rather feeling fatigued and empty. Thank God books were there, though the headache that results from this continuous reading is not that good a thing. You do get the life you want, I always wanted a life with a never ending supply of story books, but nowadays I'm often afraid of a time in far away future when I might just feel like banging my head if there's nothing else to do.

No comments: