Saturday, June 11, 2016

The note in the book!

Bought this on a sudden whim today. On one of those irresistible, "must have today itself" whims. Probably in a strange celebration of my newfound motherhood. Kutu died and left me Nikhu. I got a son. My sister died and left me her girl. I got a daughter.

I have forever been a bookworm. However the reverence I used to feel for books in earlier times has been kinda missing in me these days. Today I could feel it after a long long time.

কাছের মানুষ... I looked on fondly and pictured myself writing there (perhaps in pencil, better still if a sticky note is used - the book shouldn't be harmed) -

(My name)
(Today's date)
তোর জন্মদিনের ৩ মাস আগে  - যদি তোকে জন্মদিনে wish করতে পারি আর যদি আমরা একসাথে বইমেলা যাই, তবে গান্ধর্বী কিনব...আমি তো বই কাউকে উপহার দিতে পারি না, বড্ড possessive about my books, তবে আমরা একসাথে পড়ব...ok?

Forgive me for loving you so much, I really don't have a way out. I am more than satisfied with my current life, I don't need you for anything, but it's just that life is no life if I don't love you...

Crux of the matter, I can buy কাছের মানুষ but I can't think of buying গান্ধর্বী if I don't have you in my life...as a real part of my life. Please please can't I have this one small magic? (I mean just one more?) 

P.S. - Haven't been this happy with a book for a long time now. Not after Unaccustomed Earth. I feel that same trepidation, that same "won't touch it as yet, let it be something surreal for a little while more" feeling. Have wanted to buy this for a long long time. It gives you so much satisfaction to fulfill a little wish of yours... 

No comments: